Home » Latest Drinking Water News » The 10 Things Everyone Should Know About Water

The 10 Things Everyone Should Know About Water

There are many things that we, as Americans, take for granted. Chief among them is the endless supply of fresh drinking water. We rarely consider the fact that many other nations around the world have to jump through many hurdles to get just a cup of water to their children without it causing illness or disease. Being spoiled, we don’t realize how very lucky we are that the basic need of drinking water is something that comes easily and is supplied to us where we live. To truly appreciate the water that you drink, there are 10 things that everyone should not only know, but appreciate, about water.

Everyday over 6,000 children around the world are afflicted with water borne illness that lead to death. It is one of the biggest Public Health concerns of our times, but one which is often misunderstood, underestimated, or completely neglected. The only way that we can address the problems that we, as a world face, is to recognize that they exist at all. These facts are ones which should bring home the problems that the world faces, and if nothing else make us appreciate what we have, and what others don’t. When you stop to realize that water is not a commodity which everyone is privy to, it is really a daunting realization.

These are the things that may alter the way that you view the abundance of water coming from your tap:

  1. It only takes one drop of oil to make 6.6 gallons or 25 liters of water undrinkable
  2. There is only 30 percent of water which is not used for agricultural means, 8% is used for domestic use, and 22 percent is used for industry. Middle and low income nations consume as much as 82 percent of the water they have for their agricultural needs, 8 percent for domestic use and 10 percent for their industry. Nations with the highest income use only 30 percent of their water for agriculture, 11 percent for domestic use and 59 percent for their industrial uses.
  3. A person can sustain life going without food for as many as thirty days, they can only survive without water for 7
  4. 97.5% of the water on Earth is saltwater, only 2.5% is fresh. Of the total water 70% is trapped in glacial ice and the remaining 30% is located within the soil. That means that only 1 percent is available for human use
  5. Just like a carbon footprint there is a water footprint. It is the total amount of water which is used for the entire production and growth of a product. An example is that one sheet of paper that you use has a water footprint of as many as 10 liters or 2.6 gallons of water
  6. To take a five-minute shower you use 25 to 50 gallons of water, or 94.5 to 189.3 liters of water. To flush a toilet it takes two to seven gallons of water or 7.6 to 26.5 liters, 2 gallons to brush your teeth, or 7.6 liters and 20 gallons to hand wash your dishes in the sink
  7. Everyday over 6,000 children die from water borne contaminated water
  8. The population of Europe is almost 732.7 millions, the population of the US is 304 million, worldwide 1.1 billion people do not have access to clean drinking water and 2.6 billion individuals lack the most basic of water sanitation
  9. Everyday the average American uses approximately 151.9 gallons of water, or 575 liters, 60 percent of which is being used for outdoor consumption. The average European resident uses only 66 gallons of water or 250 liters daily. Worldwide there are over 1.1 billion people who do not have access to safe water and use less than 5 gallons a day
  10. On the whole, the average American uses 30.3 times more water than an individual who does not have access to water. In comparison, the average European uses 13.2 times more
There are many things that we, as Americans, take for granted. Chief among them is the endless supply of fresh drinking water. We rarely consider the fact that many other nations around the world have to jump through many hurdles to get just a cup of water to their children without it causing illness or disease. Being spoiled, we don’t realize how very lucky we are that the basic need of drinking water is something that comes easily and is supplied to us where we live. To truly appreciate the water that you drink, there are 10 things that everyone…

Review Overview

Summary : Did you like article on The 10 Things Everyone Should Know About Water?

User Rating: 3.6 ( 1 votes)
0

About Julie Keating

Julie Keating, commissioned writer, has been in the freelance writing industry for over ten years. Her academic accomplishments include a Masters in Public Health and a Bachelors in Psychology with a minor in Journalism. She insists that it is her personal experiences as the mother of six, the mother to a special needs child, and being widowed at a very young age, that brings personalization to her writing and captivates her readers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.